33 Facts you didn’t know about Ukraine and the Russian Putin conflict, war & attacks in 2022.
Many of us are asking ourselves, why is Russia after Ukraine? Why does Ukraine matter? And why is Vladimir Putin attacking Ukraine mercilessly?
Firstly, the opposition is stiffening as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Saturday begged the world to support his country beat back a Russian invasion. Countries like Spain, the United States, have promised to support Ukraine with weapons and financial aid respectively.
Secondly, on 1st March 2022, both diplomats from Ukraine and Russia held meetings with a mission to slow down and end the war. However, this wasn’t successful as nothing materialized. 80% of the envoys from several nations walked out after the Russian spokesman started addressing the conference via a video recording.
It’s our hope for peaceful negotiations between the leaders of the two nations as time goes by before the situation gets out of hand.
Zelenskyy said in a video statement, Saturday, that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev offered to help organize such talks. He added that “we can only welcome that.”
In the next section, we shall share 33 facts you didn’t know about Ukraine and the attacks by Russian President Vladimir Putin in 2022.
For those who ask: “Why does Ukraine matter?” This is why Ukraine matters.
Russian Putin Ukraine conflict 2022: 33 Facts you didn’t know about Ukraine
Being the second-largest country by area in Europe and having a population of over 40 million, Ukraine ranks:
- 1st in Europe in proven recoverable reserves of uranium ores.
- 2nd place in Europe and 10th place in the world in terms of titanium ore reserves.
- 2nd place in the world in terms of explored reserves of manganese ores (2.3 billion tons, or 12% of the world’s reserves).
- 2nd largest iron ore reserves in the world (30 billion tons).
- 2nd place in Europe in terms of mercury ore reserves.
- 3rd place in Europe (13th place in the world) in shale gas reserves (22 trillion cubic meters).
- 4th in the world by the total value of natural resources.
- 7th place in the world in coal reserves (33.9 billion tons).
Ukraine is an important agricultural country:
- 1st in Europe in terms of arable land area.
- 3rd place in the world by the area of black soil (25% of the world’s volume).
- 1st place in the world in exports of sunflower and sunflower oil.
- 2nd place in the world in barley production and 4th place in barley exports.
- 3rd largest producer and 4th largest exporter of corn in the world.
- 4th largest producer of potatoes in the world.
- 5th largest rye producer in the world.
- 5th place in the world in bee production (75,000 tons).
- 8th place in the world in wheat exports.
- 9th place in the world in the production of chicken eggs.
- 16th place in the world in cheese exports.
- Ukraine can meet the food needs of 600 million people.
Ukraine is an important industrialized country:
- 1st in Europe in ammonia production.
- Europe’s 2nd’s and the world’s 4th largest natural gas pipeline system.
- 3rd largest in Europe and 8th largest in the world in terms of installed capacity of nuclear power plants.
- 3rd place in Europe and 11th in the world in terms of rail network length (21,700 km).
- 3rd place in the world (after the U.S. and France) in the production of locators and locating equipment.
- 3rd largest iron exporter in the world.
- 4th largest exporter of turbines for nuclear power plants in the world.
- 4th world’s largest manufacturer of rocket launchers.
- 4th place in the world in clay exports.
- 4th place in the world in titanium exports.
- 8th place in the world in exports of ores and concentrates.
- 9th place in the world in exports of defense industry products.
- 10th largest steel producer in the world (32.4 million tons).
Why Ukraine matters. That is why its independence is important to the rest of the world and in contrast to the Russian Federation and Vladimir Putin. So, you can keep on asking yourself, why is Russia attacking Ukraine in 2022?
Last but not least, it’s good to note that the Russian Federation’s currency is now among the weakest in the European and Asian continents. This is because of the currency crisis caused by international unrest, nation conflicts, and so on.
In summary, above are the 33 facts you didn’t know about Ukraine and the possible Russian Putin conflict and wars in 2022.
Lastly, here is a list of the top 10 most powerful people in he world in 2022. See where Russian President Vladimir Putin is ranked.